The Importance of Continuous Self Development
Self improvement, personal development or self development are terms you have probably heard before. In fact, it is so often floated around conversations that it has become synonymous to success. To stop you right there, success is not always equal to improving yourself. Surprised? Keep on reading…
Defining Self Improvement and the Development of the Self
In simple terms, self improvement is the act of making yourself better than you are right now. It does not matter how small the acts are, but as long as they steer to become a better you; that is improving yourself. As opposed to success, self improvement cannot be quantified. Success can be measured by the kind of job you have or the car you drive. However, self development cannot be measure in any unit. It is simply invaluable and intangible.
Methods of Self Development
It is often disappointing to be successful and yet lack so much in personal development. People go out of their way to search for ways to transform themselves into what they consider better. But one thing you forget is the fact that the small things you ignore are the recipe to making you whoever you always wanted to be.
How to Create Your Own Self Development Plan
The simple acts listed below could be the missing parts to transform you into a better you:
- Learn to say no and mean it. If you find it hard to say no even to things you do not like, you need a new resolve. Say no and stick by that.
- Meditate more: meditation is a powerful tool for self development. When the world seems to be crushing under your feet, you can turn that around. Get into a habit of meditating and you will be amazed by the new you.
- Stop procrastinating: do it today and tomorrow face a new thing. Stop piling tasks. Learn to prioritize and you will never have more in your plate than you can handle.
- Learn new skills: learning, just like self development, never ends. You can learn a new skill even at your 80s! Dust your old guitar and learn to play a new song or grab a pen and write a poem. There is so much you can easily learn only if you open yourself to it.
- Stop multitasking: doing one thing a time increases your chances of doing it better. Get your priorities right and do them one after the other.
The Importance of Self Development
Becoming a better version of you is like an endless journey. There is no one day you will say that you are at your best. While you will be excellent in some areas there is always that one area where you can use some improvement. Self improvement is for everyone. A peasant, a president, a prime minister, a pilot, a farmer; they all want to be better than they are. It is for us all.
Why You Must Stay with the Process of Self Development
You have a hefty salary, the job of your dream, a happy family and the good life only preserved for the rich. You must be wondering why self improvement should still be your concern with all the material things you have. Here is the why you need a serious thought about your personal improvement:
- Improving yourself opens to new opportunities: you never know what lies across the fence unless you try to get there. Making yourself better as a person unlocks your potential. You can do things you only imagined before. New opportunities will be unlocked simply because you are better than you were last year.
- Improves your esteem: quite a number of people suffer low-esteem. Unfortunately, majority of them are doing nothing about it. A simple act of improving who you are shakes the black demons in you. You will be surer of yourself. You can face your fears and achieve all that you want.
- It leads to success: personal development is a prerequisite to success. It takes a better you to set goals, be disciplined and achieve your objectives. With a low self-esteem, you can only achieve below your potential.
Set Your Self Development Objectives and Keep Moving Forward in Life
Self development is the vehicle that should never stop moving inside you. It should be like the hunger and thirsty of demanding more from yourself. You can never be perfect but you can always give it your best shot towards perfection. Enough of the self pity; get up and make yourself better each day you wake up.