What is the role of a personal improvement coach?
The role of the personal improvement coach is to keep you on track and motivated. Most people whether they accept this or not do not suffer from an inability to set goals, rather they suffer from an inability to remove the barriers to their goal achievement activities. It is easy to daydream about how you want your future to be different. It is another thing to take proactive steps and face the challenge head-on – this is where a personal improvement coach can be a serious asset in your self improvement journey. The personal improvement coach is not there to babysit you. Instead the personal improvement coach is going to give you the resources fire you up and excite you about your self improvement.
Three of the best personal improvement ideas…
Here’s some self improvement advice that most people will benefit from and I certainly wish I would’ve known about this much earlier in my life.
1. Read some good self improvement books like the following because they point out possibilities and opportunities in your life:
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey. This book shares an integrated, principled method for solving life’s problems.
- The Alchemist by Paolo Coehlo. This short story is very archetypal and inspirational as it reveals spiritual journey of self-improvement and how one must both simultaneously trust the universe and be proactive about one’s growth and opportunities.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. This book is one of the cornerstone books within the self-improvement genre. The main premise behind this book is to be constantly seeking ways to solve other peoples’ problems while understanding how to maintain your personal boundaries and limits.
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity by David Allen. This book shares transformational methods for performance. The author’s premise is quite simple: a person’s productivity is directly related to his or her capacity to relax.
2. Make a list of the top 100 things you dislike about your life.
When you go through this list creation process you are proactively generating content with which you have been experiencing dissatisfaction. Some personal development coaches will have a problem with this because they want you to only focus on the positive elements. I think that’s unrealistic and often leads people to self-deception and paralysis when it comes to managing actual problems and challenge. Make a list of the negatives and you have become quite clear on what it is you do not want.
3. Determine 3 positives from the list of the top 100 things you dislike abut your life.
Now that you’re clear about what you do not want your life, create some options. Take the list of the 100 things you dislike about your life and for each one, right three possibilities that are the complete opposite of what you dislike.
For example, if you dislike where you live within three possibilities could be to move to a different house, get a job in a different city that requires you to move, or remodel or refurbish the house in which you live. Now I may be different than other people. And fact I know I’m different than other people because I choose to make decisions that pushed me the furthest out of my comfort zone. I’m notorious for doing to an extreme. If I don’t like where I live I won’t just move to a different city. I will move to a different city in a different country and this brings a plenty more content for me to personally work through.
What are some good recommendations for self improvement goals?
I’m going to give you three ideas here that might be the best recommendations for self-improvement goals you will ever hear:
- Fail: if your goals are set low enough to avoid failing that you are actually failing unintentionally. You actually want to fail on purpose because you’ve set goals that are slightly higher than your capacity to achieve them. This will force you to grow and also manage the feelings of overwhelm and uncertainty that most people dislike.
- Disconnect: you’re not the outcome. Sooner rather than later you’re going to die. There are some things in life that you cannot force to happen. Instead of believing that you will be happy or satisfied once the goal is achieved; find satisfaction now. This is probably the most powerful secret anyone can learn.
- Change: your goals will ultimately change. This is why I’m not so big on goal setting. I believe it is absolutely necessary but I do not get caught up in achieving goals because I know that once the goal is reached for the closer one becomes too fulfilling a goal, the more the meaning of the goal changes. Set goals and use them as mile markers on your journey. They indicate your proximity but the goal will never be you think it means when you set it.
Take these recommendations for self improvement ideas to heart and make it into your personalized self improvement plan. If you need a personal improvement coach or more personal improvement ideas then I recommend that you check out my coaching services and my personal development products.