Neuro-linguistic programming is a psychological theory developed by John Grinder and Richard Bandler. The key idea in this theory is that individuals never respond to the environment the way it is; instead, people draw their perception from the experiences they associate with their environment. NLP forms the foundation for Neuro-linguistic therapy. According to the theory, every individual creates a mental map representing his/her own world, and no individual has a mental map that truly represents the environment. Furthermore, because every person has a different life experience, no two people can ever have the same mental map.
Neuro Linguistic Programming is an approach that enables an individual to reflect upon the events and decisions that are responsible for their situation. NLP also reflects on positive events and successes, and use them as the basis for developing other positive behavior. In other words, Neuro-linguistic programming is concerned with how individuals manage their thinking, language, behavior, and feelings in acting the way they do.
How NLP is Used by An NLP Practitioner?
Neuro-linguistic programming is commonly used in education, self-help, coaching, therapy, performance, and business. This approach is used to improve performance and assist people in controlling their emotions and focusing on their goals in life. For example, top athletes may use Neuro-linguistic therapy to enhance their performance. Neuro-linguistic practitioners can employ their skills in a variety of settings that range from persons, groups, firms and international organizations. Neuro-linguistic programming has been used as a technology to bring fast change in groups and individuals.
Neuro-linguistic techniques can also be used in:
4. Career change
Who Can Use NLP?
Neuro-linguistic programming benefits everyone because every person has trouble in life. However, some of the people who benefit from the Neuro-linguistic programming techniques the most include salespeople, educators, trainers, counselors, entrepreneurs, athletes, and managers. Other people that may benefit from Neuro-linguistic programming include:
1. People with emotional problems: Neuro-linguistic techniques have availed new ways of handling emotional issues such as anxiety, low self-esteem, dysfunctional relationships, and lack of confidence.
2. Fear and phobias: Neuro-linguistic techniques can be used in dealing with phobias like those related to water, escalators, heights, spiders, and dogs among others. In addition, the techniques that cure phobias can be used in dealing with fears such as the fears of speaking in public, failing, examination, and driving among others.
3. People seeking to enhance their performance: Neuro-linguistic programming can be effective in improving performance, and making it consistent. This approach is effective in enhancing performance in different areas of life ranging from work to private relationships.
4. People looking for a healthier lifestyle: Neuro-linguistic techniques are effective is assisting people lose weight and adhere to other healthy lifestyle decisions. Neuro-linguistic programming has also been praised for its effectiveness in assisting people cope with stress, and make them feel better physically and emotionally.
The Reasons to Try Working With a Neuro-Linguistic Programming Practitioner
Neuro-linguistic programming is practical and goal-oriented approach that resolve issues faster compared to traditional therapies. In addition, this approach can solve a variety of problems. Consequently, NLP is cheaper compared to traditional therapies.
The Benefits of Neuro-Linguistic Programming Based Coaching
1. Enables Learning
Sometimes learning can be challenging or discouraging. However, one study established that Neuro-linguistic programming could be effective in improving the self-esteem of students with dyslexia. This assists them relax and reduces anxiety, which improves learning.
2. Enables Weight Loss
The challenges people with eating disorders face are in their heads, and has little to do with their appetite. This means that behavioral intervention plays a significant role in lowering the amount of calories an individual consumes. Studies have shown that people on weight loss programs attain positive results from using Neuro-linguistic techniques, even if they are not consistent with the exercises.
3. Assists In Kicking Out Bad Habits
The best way of doing away with bad habits is replacing them with good ones. Neuro-linguistic programming is the most preferred approach of ending bad habits.
4. Helps In Lowering Anxiety
A study conducted among people with claustrophobia found that NLP was very effective in lowering anxiety. Moreover, limited evidence indicates that the technique may be effective in mood stabilization.
The Pros and Cons of Hiring a Master NLP Practitioner
The advantages of NLP include:
1. Assisting people to set goals;
2. Work towards their goals
3. Examine the changes brought by their actions; and
4. Change the action plan when necessary
Some of the disadvantages include:
1. The approach may not work with everyone because each person is unique
2. Scientific evidence supporting the efficacy of Neuro-linguistic programming is scarce