Guided sleep imagery is a stress-relieving and relaxation technique that can assist you effectively to comfortably manage stress and lessen tension in your body. It is as simple as remembering how to daydream and, through time and some practice, this process may even lead you to have access to your inner wisdom. Guided imagery meditation would require you to follow certain steps to effectively enhance your sleeping conditions. Also this treatment would employ hypnosis and relaxation.
How to Use Guided Imagery for Sleep Audios
But before you can start with the treatment you would have to comply with some basic requirements first to fully optimize the meditation process. One would be to find a room completely insulated from any external and internal distractions. Second is to find a convenient position to begin with. After that you can begin with the next steps.
1. Find your relaxation point when starting guided meditation for sleep and relaxation
Finding your relaxation point would require you to visualize certain things. These things should exemplify peacefulness and harmony. An example to this is to visualize a place where you are most peaceful to be at. A garden or an empty room are good choices. Yet again, that depends on you what you prefer and interpret to be peaceful.
2. Relax your physical self when applying guided mindfulness meditation for sleep
Relaxing your physical self is important to ensure not only the optimum results of the meditation but most crucially to enable through the process in every step of the way. If you can’t find yourself to relax, it would prove to be a difficult predicament for you to overcome in order to proceed to the next steps. Physical relaxation can be achieved by easing the tension of your muscles. This can be done by positioning yourself in a way you are most comfortable at.
3. Calm your mind to enter an appropriate state for guided sleep relaxation
Truly calming your mind would require you to refrain from a continuous flow of thoughts and instead to focus on one single thing that’s being visualized. Physical relaxation is not the only thing necessary to achieve mediation it would also need a relaxed mind. A full mental peace immersion may be elusive at first but once you start keeping your mind focused, everything will follow afterwards. One helpful tip to ensure that your mind will not drift away due to the natural urge to think is to bear in mind at the same time to always go back to the peaceful place you have visualized. This wouldn’t be as difficult anymore once you have effectively relaxed yourself which is why it is very important to accomplish the first two steps first.
4. Breathing is the basis of self guided meditation for sleep
Breathing properly entails long, deep and slow breaths. You need not to overdo it though. Just keep it simple and easy in a relaxed kind of way. Make it a point that every after one breath cycle you get to be more and more relaxed. Focus on your breathing would also help your mind focus on the essentials of the meditation process.
5. Go deep using sleep meditation guided imagery
Keep going until you will gradually feel yourself being drawn deeper into that state of peace and relaxation. Feel your mind, your thoughts consolidate and amalgamate with your being; achieving that state of oneness.
6. Create a representation in your mind associated guided imagery sleep
When you have come this far already within the process, it’s about time that we get to the very essence of the guided imagery treatment. This is to create an image that serves as in epitome to all the relaxation and calmness you are feeling right now. This shape can be of any form or shape. This completely depends on how you interpret things to be. Below you will find the steps on getting started with guided imagery:
- Find a comfortable position such as lying down flat on your back or sitting in a meditation stance. If lying in the prone position would likely bring you to sleep, better do a leg crossed stance or maybe rest your back in a comfy chair.
- Utilize deep breathing technique with your eyes closed, having your focus fixed on every inhale and exhale rhythm, as if breathing out and releasing all the stress away.
- When you reach that relaxed state, start envisioning yourself in a place or situation that is the most relaxing surrounding you can reckon. For others, it could be floating in the serene cool waters in the middle of a secluded pristine white sand island, drinking your favorite wine or mixed drink while smooth music is playing in the background. For some, it could be enjoying the heat from the fireplace cabin in the midst of a snow-laden resort, sipping coffee and reading the latest fiction novel wrapped up in a comforter.
- Try to indulge all your senses as you create your scene. How does it look like? What feelings creep up? Are there special scents involved? Can you hear the crackling of the woods burning, the sprinkling of water into your face, or the sand tickling your feet? Create a vision so real that you can delectably taste it!
- Stay in this moment for as long as you wish. Enjoy your vivid virtual environment and allow yourself to be far from the source of your stress. Whenever you’re prepared to go back to reality, count yourself back from 10 downwards and as you reach 1, instruct yourself that you are peaceful, in a serene state, alert and enjoying what is left of the day. When you come back, you will feel calmer and refreshed, like returning from a hibernation without even leaving your room.
Just remember, guided imagery for stress management is as easy as having the right ambient sounds, a lot of imagination, and creating an immersed serene inner environment.